Friday, August 25, 2006

OCD? COD? aka Label Maker Fun

I've been having a period of time where I have lots more free time to do things. At first, this time was spent doing completely useless things like Xbox.

That was until I clued in that I was miserable because I never organized the house.

Now while I've never been officially diagnosed, all my rl friends (aka those who've seen me in action) and family will attest that I have the following conditions.. ADD, a touch of OCD, and what I call COD or compulsive organizing disorder.

Think Monica of Friends with the attention span of Joey.

So anyway, I realized I never got to organize the house. When we moved to the house from the apt, I was working full time and had my hands full just trying to do the every day things plus working that I never got anything REALLY organized.

I go crazy if things don't have a home and for the last 4 yrs most things haven't had a home. They've had very unorganized inconvienent haphazard places to go until I got time to deal with them, which I never did.. or I never took the time.

So I decided to take action on it this week and indulge my COD compulsions. I made lists. As I was making lists, I realized it'd been ages since I had made lists. Oh the fun of it!

The next step was super joy. I got things done and crossed things off my list. YEAH!!

Yesterday, I went to the Container Store (OCD and COD heaven mind you) with a list of dimentions of a closet to find containers to fit in it and organize it. What I found was perfect. I bought a case of plastic shoe box containers and (insert drumroll) a LABEL MAKER!

I was so excited to get started that I stayed up til 5am last night, washing sheets (had to make sure they were washed in corn-free soap, as some of them I don't know when I last washed them) and putting them into the shoe boxes and labeling them. Pillow cases, sheets, etc. boxed and labeled. Organized and easy to grab. Oh and they'll be clean forever! No chances of dust floating inside these sealed plastic boxes.

My linen closet looks amazing now btw. Though I think I'm going to be addicted to my labelmaker. I'm right now brain storming other things I might need to use it on. But the only thing I can think of requires another trip back to the Container Store for more plastic boxes. Oh the torture!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. COD.
Now I want fish.