Friday, August 18, 2006

Food Analysis

Because I can't eat milk, eggs, and nearly everything else because of corn or corn derivatives, I was pretty certain I needed extra vitamin support.

So while looking at another girl's blog I read a post she did about this website with a Food Adviser tool. It asks you a bunch of questions, then tells you which vitamins you may be short in and how to get those through eating certain foods. Kinda cool.

It gives you a breakdown of which foods have what vitamins. Its really interesting and for me very helpful. It is nice to know that I did pick the right multi-vitamin for what I guessed where my deficientcies, but its better to get your vitamins from foods than to try to take a pill to solve everything.

My deficientcies rating:

93% vitamin e
92% calcium
90% copper
90% omega 3 fatty acids
90% pantothenic acid
90% vitamin d
78% folate
74% magnesium
74% iron
72% vitamin b12
70% riboflavin b2
60% zinc
60% thiamin b1
1% vitamin a
1% vitamin c
1% vitamin b6
1% protein
1% selenium
1% niacin b3
1% phosphorus
1% vitamin k
1% potassium
1% manganese
0% dietary fiber


Now while the test is helpful, I'm not entirely sure on its accuracy. It told me:

"Approximately 41% of your total day's calories appear to be coming from foods that are not as nutritionally dense as the World's Healthiest Foods. These other foods may include fast foods, pre-packaged foods, processed foods, fried foods and sweets."

Uh yeah right. If only the test knew that the most "processed" things I can have is a Dagoba chocolate bar, or a bag of Kettle chips (which I can only eat like 10 chips anyway). Or a bottle of Virgil's Cream Soda. Even if I ate one of each of those a day, I hardly think it makes up 41% of my daily diet.

Somehow I think it used some calculation of my total calories per day based on what I said I ate of what they questioned me on, and assumed that I ate more than that in a day. My total came to 1191 calories of the healthy foods I answered to on the questionaire. So based on that I think it "assumes" that I eat 2000 calorie diet? Which honestly I don't think that I do.

I need to find a calculator that measures the calorie content of what I do eat, then we'll see. I'm not starving myself. I'm just eating what I want til I'm satisfied then I'm done. Which honestly isn't much these days.

Supper the other day was approx 8oz Roast Beef (w/ Organic Ketchup), 1 large potato (nothing on it), 2 c. cooked carrots.

Now I don't think any of those (cept maybe the ketchup) weren't on the healthiest foods list.

*shrugs* Anyway, I'm going to try to eat more of the "suggested" foods for me.

The number is supposedly how many nutrients it has that I need, aka how well it fits to cure my deficientcies. (though looking at their list, I'm not sure why things are cooked, or they suggest you eat dried or ground spices rather than fresh. Don't ya think fresh would be better?)

9 - Spinach (boiled, with salt)
7 - Liver, Calf
6 - Greens, Turnip, Cooked
5 - Mushrooms, Crimini, Raw
5 - Parsley, fresh
5 - Greens, Mustard, Boiled
5 - Lettuce, Romaine
5 - Kelp
4 - Chard, Boiled
4 - Basil, Ground
4 - Collard Greens, Boiled, Drained
3 - Asparagus, Boiled
3 - Sunflower Seeds, Dried
3 - Dill weed
3 - Thyme, Ground
3 - Oregano, Ground
3 - Chinook Salmon Fillet-Baked/Broiled
3 - Broccoli (pieces, steamed)
3 - Peppermint, fresh
2 - Venison
2 - Tomato, Red, Raw, Ripe
2 - Beef Tenderloin, Lean Broiled
2 - Cauliflower (boiled, drained)
2 - Kale, Boiled
2 - Cinnamon, Ground
2 - Scallops, Baked, Broiled
2 - Halibut, Baked/Broiled
2 - Shrimp, Mixed Species, Steamed, Boiled
2 - Snapper, Baked
2 - Squash, Summer, All Varieties
2 - Cod, Pacific, Fillet, Baked, Broiled
2 - Lamb, loin, roasted
1 - Blackstrap Cane Molasses
1 - Milk, Cow, 2%
1 - Seeds, Mustard
1 - Milk, Goat
1 - Tuna, Yellowfin, Baked/Broiled
1 - Cucumber, Raw
1 - Turmeric, Ground
1 - Rosemary, Dried
1 - Flax Seeds
1 - Seeds, Sesame
1 - Egg, Hen, Whole, Boiled
1 - Cumin, Seeds
1 - Pepper, Black
1 - Coriander, Seeds
1 - Almonds, dry roasted
1 - Spelt WholeGrain Flour
1 - Nuts, Walnuts
1 - Papaya
1 - Cloves, Ground
1 - Green Peas-Boiled
1 - Celery, Raw

3 comments:

Mercurior said...

i know you have allergy problems, i have some too, seafood and blueberries.. my brother peanuts.. so you have to monitor your food more closely..

but do you find all this paranoia about vitamin this, vitamin that, could be detrimental.

reading your article, you eat a starvation diet, as decreed by WHO, thats the problem with this diet industry it makes one person fit all statements..

V said...

I don't eat a starvation anything. Believe me I don't. And I'm not on a "diet", I eat what I want, as much as I want, until I'm full.

I just avoid milk, eggs, corn (corn derivatives), beans, peppers.. because if I don't I get sick.

I have complete medical reasons for the foods I avoid. Milk, Eggs, Corn and Beans are IgE mediated allergies. Peppers are IgG and about the only IgG allergy that I really have noticable problems with.

And anyone who has to avoid milk products, should look to find other sources of calcium.

I'd hardly call my post a paranoia about vitamins, but a mere attempt at eating healthier and getting a balanced diet.

purple_kangaroo said...

Try My Pyramid Tracker at mypyramidtracker.gov. It will tell you how much of each nutrient you've taken in, as well as the number of calories, etc. You can also put in your activities to see how many calories you're expending.