Tuesday, August 08, 2006

No more Girdles - Chub Rub solutions

I believe this is one of the most humiliating things for fat women. There are many forces against fat women in this world and a lot of them in fashion.

Growing up, it was impossible to find decent looking clothes that fit and yet didn't make me look like my grandmother had dressed me.

Today we have more options, especially with stores such as Lane Bryant. But even those can't fit everyone.

There are those who are top heavy fatties. They have huge shoulders, big arms, big breasts, big bellies, and skinny assed legs.

There are bottom heavy fatties. They have smaller shoulders, not as ample breasts, but they have huge bottoms, and thick legs.

Then there are those like myself, who are proportionally big all over.

So I don't get how they think that "one size fits all" when it gets to be over size 16.

But I digress..

I went shopping yesterday, and I saw something amazing. Or I thought it was amazing.

Way back when in the 80's, when my mother insisted that girls MUST wear dresses to church and we went every sunday, I got inventive with fighting chub rub. Nothing like a hot summer day, walking the 1/4 mile from where we parked to the church, with my legs sticking to each other and rubbing each other raw, my sweat seeping into it making it burn. Back in the 80's, my solution was longer skirts and wearing those really slick satiny biker shorts under them.

That worked pretty well until they went out of style and you could no longer find them in any size let alone large ones. So for the last 10 years or so, I've gotten into habit of wearing pants when and where possible. But most men I know like women in skirts, plus they're much cooler in the summers, so I've been seeking better solutions.

So anyway, I'm out shopping at Lane Bryant and I see they're carrying these new "inventions" called spanks which look an awful lot like a biker short though not silky. They looked a bit small so I purchased the next size up. Took them home and tried them on. Or lets say I attempted to try them on.

Spanks - Are supposedly created by women for women to prevent panty lines etc.

I don't believe a woman created them. If a woman did, she needs to get her head examined. They were amazingly tight, so amazingly tight that after pulling them past my ankles I knew what kind of war it was going to be to get them to my thighs and decided to pass on it.

They were so girdle-ish that the inventor had to be a skinny woman thinking that all of us "fatties" needed to be girdled in to make us look like skinny people.

Well let me ask you.. What happens when you "girdle" fat? It moves to other areas. So while your ass might look nice and tight, the rest of you is flopping about like a jelly fish. Hardly attractive.

These "Spanks" are supposed to be a better alternative than the other girdle-ish wear out there that has those "sticky" elastics at the thigh to keep them from riding up. (That sticky stuff is amazingly pinchy and uncomfortable btw)

What I have found over the last few years of experimenting, is .. You'll never guess it..

Men's boxer briefs.

Not the cotton knit ones, but the ones that are silky almost satiny with lots of spandex. The best pair I have are made my Jockey. They come in white and black, and they stay in place without sticky elastic.

Now while I may feel a little silly wearing mens underwear out in public, its much better feeling than the chub rub rash.

All in all, I still prefer a good pair of pants.

5 comments:

Mercurior said...

you should visit the UK, lots of larger sized clothes, plus you can get mens shorts and so on here

i ama fat man, engaged to a fat woman, (love the larger sized adore them always have done)

i buy all the clothes for my fiance, even bought some too big, for her, here you can get some over size 30, and they look good the clothes..

the uk doesnt judge as much as america.

and the boxers, well she has stolen about 4 pairs.. off me.. asthey fit her best of all..

V said...

Well fortunately for me I'm no longer gaining weight so hopefully I won't need to go to the UK just for clothing. But its nice to know there are more options.

Today's fat clothes are 100% better than they used to be, but they're still not "couture".

Btw I did find out that "girdle" or "Spanks" as they're called, was in fact created by a skinny model for us "fatties". _itch.

Mercurior said...

yes, i have been over to america and seen the quality of clothes there,, its not that good, the UK seems to build for quality as well as size.

so i know how hard it is to get proper stuff.. good luck in finding those clothes (and theres nothing wrong in wearing mens stuff, like shirts etc.. hell my fiance has doubled her wardrobe ;-).. )

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to find out I am not the only one who hates Spanx! Everyone raves about them but I had the same troubles you did when I tried on the one and only pair I've sampled. Blech.

I found this site through your FB page. It's your twin, btw, in case you know more than one Sarah. ;)

*waves hi!*

fmuscaro said...

i just tried a new product called secret shield i got it from an esty store but they also have a website www.skindura.com it worked great i walked all day at a flea market in a sun dress with no chafing