Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Just Ask V

For a long time (as long as I can remember) people have come to me for advice. As with anyone, sometimes its good advice, sometimes its great advice and sometimes its just plain rotten advice.

Or so I thought.

Last night I got a question from a friend which made me wonder if the "cosmos" had something else in mind for me.

But before I get to the question, let me preface it by explaining some of my basis for this wonderment.

Earlier yesterday, I recieved a skills/interest study result which proclaimed that I should really pursue three different areas of study. Counceling (no duh), Fashion (wtf?), and *drumroll* becoming a Religious Leader.

The result of Religious Leader caused me a whole lot of giggles and laughter. For years, I'd been facetiously claiming that I needed to start my own religion. From making fun of Global Warming, to half-seriously considering a religion based in corn avoidance.. Starting a cult has been a running joke.

So to see in text from a respected skills/interest survey, that I should indeed consider this Religious Leader fascination.. Really had me rolling.

Then came this conversation.. which made me stop and wonder if maybe I not only had the power to be a Religious Leader, but maybe I could in fact become a "God" myself...

My friend, in all seriousness, asked me this. (quotes as close to verbatim as possible) We had been talking about shoes.

"On that note, You know I've been meaning to ask you something, because I know you'll most likely know the answer... Lately, I've been driving down the road and I see on the side of the road, one shoe. Just one shoe..."

At this point I interrupt her with "Seriously? This is the answer you think I'M going to KNOW?"

She responds in all seriousness, "I haven't got to the question yet. And yes"

(I and anyone else knows where this is going, so to be polite I let her finish, but I'm laughing anyway)

"So I see these shoes on the side of the road. Just one adult sized shoe. The left shoe. And I was wondering if you knew why?"

Her tone was that of complete seriousness, as if she just asked me if I knew why they used yeast in bread, or who was the first President of the USA.

So I'm thinking to myself.. Ok.. WHY in the world would someone think that "I" would know why adults in Nebraska (I live in Austin) would throw their left shoe out the window of their car.

My only conclusion is that people really do think I'm a God (or have a very special information relationship with Him) or they're insane... in which this "God" thing might actually work.

Seriously, I didn't need any more fuel for that fire. :)

1 comment:

purple_kangaroo said...

This post made me chuckle out loud. Did you come back to your friend, "Because I'm omniscient, or what?"